Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 22:32:47 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> I propose the hex data be the alist printed in the UTF-8 encoding, then
> converted to the unibyte conversion, encrypted, and hex-encoded.  The
> next non-hex character (usually space or newline) ends the data.  If we
> fail to decode it, we print a warning message.

I think it would be nice if it was as short as possible, too, because
this will be a blob of stuff in a file that people would be editing.

Which is why I kinda like the

secret gpg:<base 64> idea.

If we put all the secrets into the same blob, we can say stuff like

address@hidden@ssalt

that is, make the token names really short (one character), and use NUL
as the separator, so that we can put random other characters (including
space) into the passwords...

> I agree about this.  For your purpose, let's get the gpg tokens working.
> Then we can overengineer the general solution into a minor mode, an
> EmacsWiki page, and a long discussion about the aesthetics of hex data.

:-)

> What do you need from me to get the above done, if you agree about the
> implementation?

Well, I'd hoped that you'd implement this.  :-)