Display problems in M-x term (was: terminal emulation)

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Display problems in M-x term (was: terminal emulation)
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 01:15:25 +0200

Hi,

Without knowing much background, I tried to use aptitude and some
other applications with M-x term (in Gnu Emacs 23.3 on Debian) myself.
Indeed there are some problems, but generally, isn't `term' supposed
to work with applications like aptitude?

The bad thing with aptitude is that it uses a Unicode letter
(character 9618) to display a scroll-bar.  In some fontsets
(e.g. "startup: 13-dot"), the glyph of this char is wider than the
ASCII-characters (Bug?).  Lines including this character get wrapped,
messing up the whole display.  So, the terminal is only usable with
`truncate-lines' being t in this case.

There are also some Emacs features which interfere with the terminal,
resulting in surprising "effects", e.g.

  - If the user option `scroll-margin' has a value greater than 0,
    then the terminal window gets scrolled if the cursor is near the
    bottom and Emacs does a redisplay.

  - `show-paren-mode': Pairs of "parens" are highlighted by default in
    *terminal*.  E.g. in aptitude dialogs like this:

                    +---------------------+
                    |Really quit Aptitude?|
                    |  [ Yes ]    [ No ]  |

    the "parens" around "Yes" and "No" get highlighted if point is
    there.

Maybe features and options like these, which make not much sense in a
terminal emulator, should be treated locally by M-x term?  E.g. it
would be good if `truncate-lines' and `scroll-margin' would be
buffer-local in *terminal* with a useful value.

P.S.: I also needed to apply the patch given in Bug #5615 for an
optimal result.