Re: just-the-text Emacs frame

From: Julien Danjou
Subject: Re: just-the-text Emacs frame
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:25:54 +0200

On Mon, Jun 06 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> Under XMonad, that creates a strut panel but the panel won't take any
> keyboard input, which is a problem.

I think this is a XMonad bug. I'd suggest talking to them to figure out
why they are refusing to give the focus to such a window.

> When I try to close it from the WM,
> the WM targets another frame instead (the strut panel is not a normal
> window, as expected).  It can be closed from the menus, but if I turn
> off the menus as I intend, there will be no way to easily close that
> frame.

Yes, it makes sense. XMonad refuses to give it the focus both internally
and in X so it can't logically receive any event.

> I guess I can install a right-click handler, but I wonder if it's not
> better to let emacs-panel manage all the popup frames it creates,
> arranging them along the screen edges.  The lack of keyboard input
> handling concerns me.  Does keyboard input work in other WMs?  I realize
> this is way beyond the intended use of Emacs, so don't take it as a
> complaint, more of an investigation :)

Yeah, it works fine under others WM I tested. Really, I think it's a
bug. :)

--
Julien Danjou
❱ http://julien.danjou.info