Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 04:28:30 +0900

Jambunathan K writes:

 > From what I see, Richard's polite and assertive refusal strongly
 > influenced Dr. Carver in to recognizing or atleast understanding
 > the subtle difference between "Free Software" and "Open Source".

I see no evidence in the thread for that conclusion, or against it for
that matter.  I have, however, conducted survey research and I assure
you that I would have responded quite as Dr. Carver did, no matter
what I believed or learned.  It pays to be polite, and it's satisfying
to correct one's mistakes, even if inadvertant.

IOW, a simple request would have been equally effective, I believe.

 > ps: I am trying to understand where all this hatred to Richard's
 > advocacy comes from.

Hatred for his advocacy, no.  I just believe in software freedom, and
I think Richard's us vs. them posting style is counterproductive and
mostly repels people who would otherwise be interested to learn more.
I realize it's a losing battle and in recent years have been better at
saying nothing, but this particular time I discovered a desire to
encourage this survey, and spoke up.

Personal antagonism, yes.  I'm sorry it shows.  I'm not a very nice
person in my mailing-list persona, which has a lot to do with it.
Let's leave it at that.