Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:17:22 +0530

>> On the other hand, to convince the people doing that activity to also
>> mention "free software" is an achievement for the movement.
>
> I agree, but it seems a very good idea to be as polite as possible
> about these things, as it's very likely they're not making an
> intentional decision to omit Free Software.

Why shouldn't the researcher choose his words to suit the style of the
person he is talking to. It is a publicly documented fact that Richard
loves or prefers certain words (== way of thinking) in preference to the
others. It seems to me to be an error of omission from the researcher
because he hasn't simply done his due diligence either in the Choice Of
the Mailing List or the Choice of the Subject. (Sorry Mr.Carver)

> Saying something like "I won't answer your survey unless you change
> it" seems unnecessarily combative, at least as an initial response.

assert(unpalatable != combative).

For christ's sake, Have we never had out Mamas shout at us?

"Change the style, Be Polite and get more supporters", seems an empty
argument for political correctness, I believe.

Richard has come a long way in his campaign and for the intelligent
person that he is, would have already come to either of the following
conclusions -

1. being polite or not polite makes no difference to the campaign.
2. being "combative" is actually mildly favorable, contrary to mass
   opinion,

I believe nobody has asked Richard why he gets so upset when certain
cursed words are put forth to him. That's the only right approach to
take rather than take a moral high ground and advise him to be polite.

I personally believe that being rude has it's uses. Being politically
correct and going by the book is for the meek who serve the world and
not who desire to change it.

"Whatever works and Whatever does no harm" should be the motto. Let's
not reform the reformer but put our wieght behind him.

The next time some one pops up in this list why not it be one of us (who
are too proud of our polite demeanour) frontend the allegedly impolite
man.

ps: I will not make any more posts on this subject.

Jambunathan K.