Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 01:35:15 +0900

Andreas Röhler writes:

 > As for the "ethical values" --otherwise only stressed in churches that
 > often-- I'd prefer it not that outspoken, rather realising it, which in
 > so far is done by Emacs developers.

The problem is that "there exists free software you may choose" is not
the same thing as "software freedom", which means "any software you
may choose is free".  The former is what the naive will see when they
look at Emacs, not the latter.  Especially if they're running on
Windows or the NS port on Mac....