Re: OS X Lion and "ApplePressAndHoldEnabled"

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: OS X Lion and "ApplePressAndHoldEnabled"
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:06:33 -0400

> In the latest version of OS X Apple has introduced "Press and Hold".
> In Emacs, it's on by default.  This translates to in Emacs, any alphanumeric
> key, when held down not in combination of any key modifiers, only one key
> press is emitted, in contrast with the previous behavior where the key is
> repeated as fast as your system repeat rate is set.

IIUC this is because "press and hold" is then interpreted as "choose
among various chars" instead of "auto-repeat".  This feature makes sense
when the key is bound to self-insert-command (whether you like it or
not is another issue, but at least I don't see a reason why Emacs
should necessarily disable it rather than obey the user's system-wide
preference for it), but it clearly makes no sense when the key is bound
to some unrelated command.

Not sure how/if Emacs can enable/disable it selectively depending on the
current binding of the key.

> Fortunately, there is a workaround, shown to me by hober of #emacs.  If this
> is added at the top of your emacs config file (such that it is executed
> before the frame is fully initialized):

> (ns-set-resource nil "ApplePressAndHoldEnabled" "NO")

Maybe we should include it in lisp/term/mac-win.el for now?

        Stefan