Re: Committing new smtpmail.el later tonight

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Committing new smtpmail.el later tonight
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:27:44 +0200

> Antoine Levitt <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Is this when you try to send via smtp.gmail.com?
>>
>> Yes, with the config just like the emacswiki page.
>
> I found a bug in the MAIL FROM auth handling, which made the auth not
> work unless you already had a password in the ~/.authinfo file, but that
> doesn't seem to be your problem...

I see you committed a fix for this, but I think things are still not
quite right. I had an existing username/port spec in .authinfo, but no
password. When sending mail, the connection comes up, but sending fails
because smtpmail has never offered to authenticate. Should it not be
prompting me for the password?

Robert