Re: Emacs and the Status Notification Specification

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs and the Status Notification Specification
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:28:19 -0500

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:31:59 -0600 Tom Tromey <address@hidden> wrote:

Tom> The Status Notification Specification is a D-Bus spec for what are
Tom> sometimes called "systray icons".  It lets applications create systray
Tom> icons using just D-Bus, rather than the mix of different things required
Tom> by the older spec.

Tom> Attached are 2 files to implement the spec for Emacs:

Tom> * status.el, the basic implementation
Tom> * erc-status.el, adding an icon for ERC.  The icon blinks when someone
Tom>   pings you, and clicking it switches to the appropriate buffer.

Tom> I'd like to check these in to Emacs.  However, I was uncertain where to
Tom> locate them, so I thought I would post here first.

This is somewhat related to the emacs-panel work I'm doing.  I propose
we either make a emacs-desktop ELPA package (on the GNU ELPA or
somewhere else) or we make a lisp/desktop/ directory in Emacs.  My
preference is for the former, so it can be used in XEmacs and in older
Emacs versions, and so its development is decoupled from the Emacs
releases.

On my side, I would contribute:

- iconset.el and iconset-silk.el: common icons and ways to use them

- emacs-panel.el: facilities for popup frames to set up something like
  the gnome-panel, plus some EWMH facilities like listing the desktop
  area, the desktops, and setting/getting the current desktop.  This is
  going to be under heavy development.

Michael Albinus has provided a notifications.el server, which I think
also makes sense in the emacs-desktop package.

Ted