Re: clipboard/selection: customization vs. rebinding

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: clipboard/selection: customization vs. rebinding
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:59:48 -0400

David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden> writes:

> I propose for 24 binding mouse-2 back to mouse-yank-at-click but with
> the addition of boolean customization to control the precise behaviour
> to allow the desired fd.o-type behaviour.

It's a tough decision.  It's true that mouse-yank-at-click has fringe
bindings, so anyone who wants the old behavior would need to rebind
those too, which is a nuisance.

However, if we introduce a boolean to control mouse-yank-at-click, that
makes it harder for users to have both mouse yank behaviors available
(by binding mouse-yank-at-click and mouse-yank-primary to different
keys)---unless we introduce yet another command that unconditionally
yanks from the kill ring, which I think is not worth the complication.

All in all, I think it's better to change the fringe bindings to
mouse-yank-primary.  For those users who are set on the old behavior,
the minor inconvenience of adding a few extra key bindings is
regrettable but not worth making the proposed change.