Re: How does the Emacs bug tracker work?

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: How does the Emacs bug tracker work?
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 18:25:35 -0400

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> I think 500 is way too low.  Fetching 500 bugs (via Emacs) takes about
> the same time as displaying one reload of the debbugs web page.

It's not that inconvenient to looks at 500 reports at a time is it?
This gives you just over 3 pages to look at, for the current open normal
bugs, after ~ 3 years of tracking bugs.

> And I suspect that will be accessed 1000x more often than the Emacs
> interface (by web bots :-),

robots.txt forbids them. :)

> so the limit from the Emacs interface should be at least 2K.

Fetching 500 bugs uses ~ 10% of the real memory on the server.
Maybe I'm overly cautious, but that seems about the right limit to me.
The machine doesn't have much memory, and a lot is used up running
spamassassin, mailman, etc.