Re: Problems with new smtpmail

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Problems with new smtpmail
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 17:03:03 +0200

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

>  '(smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.server.net")

[...]

> First, smtpmail-default-smtp-server is ignored. I have to set it with
> setq before (load-library "smtpmail"). The documentation for
> smtpmail-default-smtp-server says it is only effective if setted before
> smtpmail is loaded, but it would be nice to mention that on NEWS too for
> the benefit of those who used Emacs' standard customization interface
> for setting the variable.

Yes.  You shouldn't use that variable.  It should probably be marked as
obsolete.  `smtpmail-smtp-server' is the variable that's used.

> Second, NEWS says that smtpmail-auth-credentials no longer exists

That's correct.

> ".. if it were a direct list of user names and passwords, you will be
> prompted for the user name and the password instead, and they will then
> be saved to ~/.authinfo."

That's badly phrased.  I meant to convey that it's ignored, and you will
be prompted for a user name and password, if the SMTP server asks for it.

> but sending mail fails with this:
>
> smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed: Server supports STARTTLS, but Emacs
> does not have support for it
>
> Emacs worked fine for sending mail through that smtp server for
> years. Now it seems that something is missing. What's the problem?

So your server announces that it supports STARTTLS, but doesn't require
it?

> In any case, I find the information about the smtpmail change in NEWS
> very sparse. Please note that most people is not an expert on mail
> protocols and configured Emacs following recipes, possibly long time
> ago. It is desirable to provide thorough documentation for updating the
> most usual configurations to the new requirements.

You shouldn't need to know anything about SMTP, or edit any files, or
set any variables by hand.  smtpmail.el is meant to handle all that by
querying you for the stuff that it wants to know.