Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 18:16:55 -0400

[...]

> I'm ready to believe that most Emacs users need to use SMTP now if
> they are to send mail.  I agree we should make this easy for them.
>
> However, machines with MTAs that work remain an important case, even
> if they are no longer the majority, and their users shouldn't find
> that Emacs breaks, or asks them questions they don't know how to
> answer, merely in order to do what formerly "just worked".

I have a system with a working MTA.  When I updated to the latest emacs
and started gnus I got the following message:

  Sending mail from Emacs hasn't been set up yet.
  Type `y' to configure outgoing SMTP, or `n' to use
  the default mail sender on your system.

  To change this again at a later date, customize the
  `send-mail-function' variable.

  Configure outgoing SMTP in Emacs?

I typed `n', and everything continued working with sendmail in the way I
was used to.  This may not be the case you are worried about, but I
thought I'd let you know that I, at least, was not inconvenienced by
this change.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)