Re: Usage examples of dedicated windows and popup frames?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Usage examples of dedicated windows and popup frames?
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 14:55:25 -0400

> Hm, not what I get.  With emacs -Q updated yesterday:
> 1. Goto *scratch* and eval the form above.
> 2. (def<TAB> ==> a comletion frame pops up *and gets input focus*

This input focus issue is a problem, indeed, but AFAIK it's one that's
difficult to fix.

> 4. (defalia<TAB> ==> defalias is the sole completion, and at that point
>    in time, the completion frame shows *scratch*, too, just like the
>    frame I'm typing in.

This is clearly a bug.  Martin, could you take a look at it?  If we just
popped up this frame for *Completions*, minibuffer-hide-completions
should hide the frame.

> Oh, now I did another completion, and this time the completion frame was
> indeed iconified.

Huh?

> Unfortunately, it doesn't come up automatically when completing again.
> Doing it manually shows that it contains the new completion list.

Yet another bug.

>   (setq pop-up-frames 'graphic-only
>         display-buffer-reuse-frames t
>         special-display-regexps '(("^\\*.*\\*$" pop-to-buffer-same-frame)))
>
> Using that (emacs -Q), completion now pops up a new window showing
> *Completions*, and also a new frame showing the same buffer...
> If I understand the docs correctly, then I could also use
>
>   (setq special-display-regexps '(("^\\*.*\\*$" ((same-frame . t)))))
>
> but with that, completions still appear in a popup frame and no popup
> window is shown at all.

Martin, can you explain this behavior?

        Stefan