Re: Building Emacs trunk on Windows 7, using MinGW + MSYS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building Emacs trunk on Windows 7, using MinGW + MSYS
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 20:32:03 +0300

> Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 18:23:11 +0200
> From: grischka <address@hidden>
>
> I'd assume that if you explicitly maintain two distinct paths in the
> makefile, one for building with SH and one for building with CMD,
> then maybe the path for SH should do without explicitly using CMD. ;)

If you know how to avoid CMD and still reliably invoke the Windows'
native fc.exe, not some arbitrary sh builtin or alias, I'm all ears.

In general, the SH path is just baggage from the past, when the
Windows port of GNU Make was very deficient without a Unixy shell.
Nowadays, this is no longer true (since Make 3.81), so it would be
good to GC it, and use CMD exclusively.