Re: gtk scroll bar: upstream bug report

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: gtk scroll bar: upstream bug report
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:39:39 +1000

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 1:54 AM, Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:

> Miles Bader skrev 2011-07-12 11.04:

>>> How is it incompatible? There were many positive suggestions in that
>>> old thread.
>>
>> Certainly the impression I got from the old discussions was that it
>> wasn't so much that it was _difficult_ to support the Emacs model, but
>> rather that they wanted to _prevent_ apps from using such a model
>> because they thought it was bad (for the user?).
>
> I think they want applications to behave the same, and the Emacs model is
> late to the game (for Gtk+).  So there is little reason to switch.
>
>        Jan D.

My interaction with GTK+ developers supports this as well. There
appears to be a fairly strong GUI design philosophy underlying GTK+
which tries to enforce what they believe are good UI design principals
and ensure consistency across apps which use the toolkit. I think this
is a good thing, but it does mean we are likely to run up against UI
'reatures' which traditionally, emacs has supported that will not be
possible under this toolkit. Whether the inability to support a
feature udner a toolkit represents a bug from the emacs perspective is
uncertain (I don't think it is a bug), but I certainly would not
classify it as a bug from the GTK+ perspective - possibly a feature
request or enhancement request, but not a bug.

Tim