Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 12:07:36 +0200

>> Currently, the reuse-window-even-sizes specifier is set for all
>> buffers from the value of `even-window-heights' which is t by default.
>> This produces a normalized specifier which is respected whenever a
>> window is reused but not written into `display-buffer-alist'.  How
>> should I proceed here?
>
> A good way to handle this is to say that :even-windows, if nil or
> omitted, means to consult `even-window-heights'.  If the value is
> `never' or t, that overrides `even-window-heights'.

But this is exactly how things are done currently.  Just that you do
want to turn off such merging for `display-buffer-alist'.  Try to get
the "default" value of `display-buffer-alist' via
`display-buffer-alist-set' from a fresh Emacs started with emacs -Q.
Here this gets me (removing all the scrap introduced by applications
overriding default values in some uncoordinated fashion)

((((regexp . ".*"))
  reuse-window
  (reuse-window nil same nil))
 (((regexp . ".*"))
  pop-up-window
  (pop-up-window
   (largest)
   (lru))
  (pop-up-window-min-height . 40)
  (pop-up-window-min-width . 80))
 (((regexp . ".*"))
  reuse-window
  (reuse-window-even-sizes . t)))

The last line is the value from `even-window-heights' converted to a
`reuse-window-even-sizes' buffer display specifier.

martin