Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:29:45 +0200

On Monday, 25.07.2011, martin rudalics wrote:

> martin, who begins feeling to weak to delve into this subject again.

Not that it probably matters at all, but let me express my sincere
appreciation for all your work on making `display-buffer' and friends
suck less. I do hope the outcome of this discussion won't be sticking
with the Emacs 23 state of things.

I think the objections raised by other developers might largely stem
from their insufficient understanding of the new semantics, which in
itself might largely stem from its documentation not being good enough?

I tend to agree with Drew here -- let's first try to improve the docs so
we all understand Martin's proposed changes well enough, before
rejecting them or trying to improve upon them.

So I'd think at this point questions of the form "How do I get this
specific behaviour I want with your new system?" are more useful than
"Why not redesign it like this?" or "Why not drop these parts of the new
design?".

--
Štěpán