Re: New build process?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: New build process?
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:45:35 -0400

    The *real* dinosaurs just type "make".  The "./configure; make"
    business is a relative latecomer.

The GNU configure spec was developed in the mid 80s,
rather early in the development of GNU Emacs.
In other words, all us dinosaurs are used to it.
I think you're talking about trilobites.

This GNUmakefile is a good hack.  However, it would be good
to also do the one I suggested, for the sake of people who
know and use the GNU configure spec.  That should be even easier
now, since the code from GNUmakefile can be reused.

Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110