Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:39:42 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > You will most probably disagree, but that's MO.

I do disagree about policy (I think that it may be a good idea to
consider merging code like bidi, lexbind, and display-buffer at an
earlier stage on an explicitly experimental "we're probably going to
have to take it out, but we need to know what only the users can tell
us for future work" basis), but how is that "disrespectful"?

Note that I didn't propose that people discount the maintainers'
considered opinions, only that they not argue against reversion simply
because it means changing code that's been approved.  IMHO it's more
disrespectful to suggest that the maintainers can't change their minds!

Anyway, the word "experiment" is appropriate until you propose a more
accurate one that takes into account both the maintainers' approval
and the uncertainty of success.