Re: heisenbugs 1 joakim 0

From: Antoine Levitt
Subject: Re: heisenbugs 1 joakim 0
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 15:54:12 +0200

02/08/11 15:39, address@hidden
> Hello,
>
> Currently Emacs heisenbugs are having a field day in my computer. I'd
> like to request some assistance in evening the score if possible.
>
> These are heisenbugs and furthermore in my own xwidget branch, so if
> all this sounds like useless whining, please just disregard. A guy needs
> to went now and then.
>
> - The recent bidi change seemed to introduce some visual artifacts
>   sometimes during scrolling. Sometimes the screen gets scrolled in
>   small rectangular regions but not all areas. It could be my branch
>   code but I dont think so, because my code is the bestest. It could
>   also be GTK3 + Bidi. This heisenbug is endurable because I can make
>   the display right by requesting a redraw.
>
> - Gnus usualy hangs for me with a flaky network but its much worse
>   recently with the gnutls stuff. Sometimes I get a message like:
>
> "gnutls.c [0] (Emacs) fatal error: The specified reason has been
> invalidated for some reason."

I do sometimes get error messages like these (actually, not like this,
they're "size zero" errors). I also get random hangs on
gnus-group-get-new-news. Strange thing is that my gnus only connects to
local servers (dovecot & leafnode) ... maybe it's some error at the
other end. I've added some code to get backtraces, I'll see if I can get
something usable and report it.

> - I run Emacs in gdb all the time but it doesn't really help
>   recently. Emacs hangs so hard gdb can't interrupt. Sometimes I can
>   at least get a backtrace by sending a SIGHUP signal. Usualy the hang
>   is in accept_process_output initiated from Gnus.
>
> - bzr currently hangs, at the savannah end(Okay, I just like to whine
>   a bit)

There's a thread on this, the savannah admins have been notified so
presumably something will be done in the near future.

> - Hey, Martins new window code at least doesn't give me troubles!
>
> - Since Emacs now crashes/hangs many times a day, desktop mode helps
>   me a lot. Can I make it save the state more often?

I've got this in my .emacs

(run-with-timer (* 10 60) (* 10 60) (lambda () (flet ((message (&rest args)
nil))

(desktop-save-in-desktop-dir))))

(the flet hack is there to suppress any output)