Re: Errors in interactive commands

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Errors in interactive commands
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 21:15:46 +0200

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 19:46, Antoine Levitt <address@hidden> wrote:
> What's the policy concerning errors in interactive commands when they
> are called from an invalid context? Right now emacs is a bit
> inconsistent: C-f at the end of a buffer displays a message, while C-M-f
> inside an empty parenthesis pair raises an error. We should decide on a
> standard and apply it to every such command (I'm willing to do it.)
>
> I'm personally in favour of displaying a message, because it makes
> editing with toggle-debug-on-error less painful. What do others think?

In my opinion interactive commands should never raise an error.

Unless of course there is an error - not just a "bad" user behaviour.
The user behaviour might instead throw to a catch label that normally
just continues the command loop (but can be catched too).

We have discussed this before and I have suggested the same thing
then. In my opinion it is important. I guess some people might agree,
but so far no one has had time to:

1) Suggest the policy (oh, yes, I did).
2) Get agreement.
3) Implement.