Re: Memory leak due to bidi?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Memory leak due to bidi?
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:11:57 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 10:18:27 -0400
> Cc: Andy Moreton <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> >> I've given up on using VC annotate in emacs after 10 minutes of bzr
> >> thrashing my machine with zero output.
>
> > ??? "time bzr annotate src/character.h" shows this for me:
>
> >   real    0m21.802s
> >   user    0m20.430s
> >   sys     0m0.650s
>
> > That's not long enough to be annoying, let alone 10 minutes of
> > thrashing.  What am I missing?
>
> Thrashing slows the process tremendously, so the 10 minutes are probably
> due to thrashing.

Yes, I know.

> And thrashing is most likely due to Bzr using more memory than Andy
> has on his machine.

My machine has only 1.5GB, but it doesn't thrash and produces the
annotations for character.h in 27 seconds.  Running XP with less than
what I have would thrash all the time, not just when bzr is working,
so I don't believe Andy has less.

But maybe that happens for Andy because Emacs has eaten up all the
memory.