Re: convert-standard-filename

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: convert-standard-filename
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 23:24:17 -0400

>>> [file-name-equal] should only operate on names without performing
>>> any actual file/directory lookup.
>> Why do you want to avoid hitting the disk?

Because I'd like it to work for files and directories which may not even
exist (yet?).  But maybe that's unrealistic (I guess the foobar ->
foob~1 rewrite in some Windows cases probably can't work without
hitting the disk).

> when one is prepared to bear the cost, one can do
> (file-name-equal (truename f1) (truename f2))

If it can only work for existing files/directories, then comparing the
output of file-attributes (esp elements 10 and 11) seems like a better
implementation, at least on POSIX.
But then it's not "file-name-equal" but "file-equal".

        Stefan