Re: Emacs 23 Mac port

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Emacs 23 Mac port
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 08:59:53 -0400

On Aug 7, 2011, at 8:08 PM, Alp Aker wrote:

> The easy way to do fullscreen uses Cocoa methods that are only available for
> 10.6 or later (I'm assuming you're referring to the use of the "setStyleMask"
> method for NSWindow).  It seems a little premature to give up on support for
> 10.4 and 10.5, not to mention giving up on GNUstep.

In the month of July, 15% of Aquamacs users were still on 10.5, and now 10.7
has come out.

However, if you only look at people who have recently (within the past two
years or) have upgraded their installation to one based on Emacs 23 (from Emacs
22), this figure drops to 9%.  Among the users of the latest version of
Aquamacs at the time, it's 7%.

Given that Emacs has very limited resources in terms of OS X developers, this
suggests to me that supporting certain features only on newer OS variants is
warranted; dropping support completely for 10.5 is probably a little early.

The GNUStep argument may be a stronger one from an ideological standpoint.

> So if a fullscreen mode
> were to implemented in GNU Emacs, it it probably worth it for the time being
> to use a strategy like that "typester" patch that's been floating around, as
> that doesn't have any version dependencies.

As I've said before, feel free to take the Aquamacs code (which is based on
typester's patch, combined with support for the standard frame parameters) and
turn it into an Emacs patch.  Let me know if I can answer any questions.  (Y.
Mitsuharu's 10.7 code sounds great, perhaps it can be used or reimplemented for
Cocoa.)