Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 20:00:12 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 19:26:18 +0200

>> > Dealing with email has long ago stopped being an ASCII-only or
>> > Latin-1-only environment.
>>
>> What about "ASCII-only data sources" did you not understand?
>
> What part of "there are no ASCII-only data sources" did you not
> understand?

You are confusing an antecedent with an absolute statement.  An absolute
statement that is just wrong.  For example, this mail is an ASCII-only
data source.

>> [...] English-only mailing list without any foreign-language spam or
>> senders [...]
>
> Where do you find such things nowadays?  They don't exist.

Reverting to sentence part surgery in order to let your point stand is
pretty much equivalent to admitting its untenability.

>> limit my audience to multibyte-capable readers
>
> What are multibyte-uncapable readers in use nowadays?  Wake up, it's
> 2011 out there!  The dumb MS Outlook supports directional marks for
> quite some time.

Typical Usenet groups I frequent not rarely use newsreaders like Xnews,
Forte Agent and other tools that have a lot of problems dealing with
multibyte characters, in particular when replying to mail not matching
the local environment.

If you want to wake up to 2011, Usenet is dead, and everybody uses web
forums.  But I am still communicating with a lot of dinosaurs.  People
who still, 2011 or not, tend to get annoyed at HTML mail.

I am contributing code to projects where I don't want to see utf-8
characters checked in that I have not explicitly typed myself, let alone
directional characters.

--
David Kastrup