Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 03:14:48 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> When you type "C-x C-s", Emacs clearly shows the characters that
>>> cannot be encoded as Latin-1.
>> As you said yourself, users should not need to know about the details of
>> how bidi works.  So we can't assume that they know what left-to-right
>> marks are, so they can't know whether the characters that Emacs is
>> complaining about are important to keep.
>
> LRM marks aren't perfect, but I think that for Emacs-24.1, it'll have to
> be "the best we have", otherwise it would delay the release too much.

Using LRM is ok, but Emacs should not insert LRM marks on its own in
pure left-to-right text.

I already suggested that `format' could be made responsible for
inserting LRM marks.  One possibility would be a special format field
that would send an appropriate mark when left- and righthand side of the
string had differing directionality.  Another possibility would be
completely self-organized: namely when otherwise formatting fields would
get split or reordered.

--
David Kastrup