Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:07:53 +0300

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 14:56:50 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > However, what we are talking about here is not the interface, it's the
> > ability to edit bidirectional text.
>
> It would make discussion more productive if you actually remembered what
> you are getting defensive about.

Sorry, my memory is limited.  This has been a very long thread.

> The point of discussion was the display (and preparation) of mode lines
> and prompts as one example of Emacs-prepared text, going to special
> buffer displays like dired

The main issue that started this was the Gnus summary and similar
buffers, which present table-like summary of a list of items.  Dired
was barely mentioned, and I don't remember prompts or mode lines
mentioned, except as in passage.  Please remind me what was the
problem with the mode line.

> and whether we want Emacs to insert directional marks in content
> like that even when no R2L material is present.

Yes.  To reiterate, I think doing this unconditionally is the easiest
way, since any kind of conditions will not be able to be 100% accurate
without lots of complications for the users of the relevant APIs.
It's quite possible that 100% accuracy will be entirely impractical.

> Making Emacs annoying to L2R users might be one way to capture their
> attention.  I can't deny it worked for multibyte support.  But I am not
> fond of that approach.

I have no idea what is this about.