Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105466: epa-mail.el handles GnuPG groups.

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105466: epa-mail.el handles GnuPG groups.
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 14:09:12 +0900

>     epa has a nice feature to select keys interactively, which is based on
>     (group-expanded) key information in elisp level.  Try:
>
>     C-u M-x epa-mail-encrypt
>
>     and you will see the list of keys which will be used to encrypt, before
>     doing actual encryption.  This is useful for careful users who don't
>     want to encrypt emails with untrusted/unwanted keys.
>
> I have nothing against it; but when C-u is not used, why check the keys?
> Why not just pass the specified recipients to GPG and let it check them?

It could be possible but it does not help simplifying the code.  Now the
behavior is identical to what GPG does and I see no reason to add a
special case when C-u is not used.

> I think we are talking about different code.  I was talking about
> the code to check the keys.  I thought all that could be deleted
> by making epa not check the keys.
>
> However, if that code is needed for the C-u case, then it could not be
> deleted.

Yes, it is needed for the C-u case and also for encrypting files (not
emails), importing/exporting keys, etc.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno