Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 01:14:40 +0200

> Ah.  I'll just amend `gnus-tilde-max-form' to check whether the last
> character is LRM, and if it is, then it'll re-add it to the end of the
> string if it decides to chop off the string.  I think that should work
> reliably.

I've now done this for the "from" part of the summary lines as a test.
As you can see from the attachment, my Hebrew-ish name gets chopped and
LRM-eyd correctly, as far as I can see, so it seems like a workable

However, this feels like an extremely leaky, er, abstraction.  I think
it would be better if all y'all can find a solution that doesn't require
these extreme low-level hacks just to get text rendered properly.  I
kinda doubt that all package maintainers will expend the hackery time
needed to twiddle these knobs.

But for Emacs 24, that's probably not realistic?