Re: gsettings and daemonized emacs: wrong font in second frame

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: gsettings and daemonized emacs: wrong font in second frame
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 12:29:28 +0200

Ulrich Mueller skrev 2011-08-23 00:15:
Following scenario:
1. Start emacs --daemon from Linux console.
2. From within an X session, execute emacsclient -c to create a first
    Emacs frame.
3. Create a second Emacs frame (with C-x 5 2 in the first frame or
    with another emacsclient -c, it doesn't matter how).

Now, in the first frame, I get Droid Sans Mono as text font, which is
what I set in my .Xresources. Whereas in the second frame (and all
following frames) the font is DejaVu Sans Mono.

What is going on?

GSettings and GConf override Xresources, so if GSettings have DejaVu Sans Mono and font-use-system-font is t, that is the expected behaviour. The bug is then why the first frame doesn't use DejaVu.

If you don't have font-use-system-font set to t, then that is another matter.
Does this happen if you start emacs -daemon -q?

I can not reproduce this issue.

        Jan D.

This happens with Emacs from today's BZR trunk. I think the relevant
configure options are:
--with-dbus --with-gconf --with-gsettings --with-x-toolkit=lucid

If I configure --without-gsettings then the problem doesn't occur,
i.e. then the font from .Xresources will appear in all frames.

Ulrich