Is it possible to have 256 colors in Emacs on framebuffer-enabled tty

From: zwz
Subject: Is it possible to have 256 colors in Emacs on framebuffer-enabled tty
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 22:33:23 +0800

I use Emacs both in GUI mode and text mode. In text mode, however, it
only shows 8 colors (M-x list-color-display). So I create a consistent
color-theme for Emacs in both modes.

But one thing still bothers me. In my system, framebuffer is enabled (by
KMS) and fbterm is adopted as the terminal, in which "tput colors" gives
256, and I can watch movies on tty with mplayer. However, in Emacs, only
8 colors available.

I googled and found
http://code.google.com/p/fbterm/issues/detail?id=44,
in which one comment suggest the issue root in Emacs.

Is it right, or is there any way to have 256 colors in Emacs (tty)?