Re: Is it possible to have 256 colors in Emacs on framebuffer-enabled tt

From: zwz
Subject: Re: Is it possible to have 256 colors in Emacs on framebuffer-enabled tty
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 14:06:02 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: zwz <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 22:33:23 +0800
>>

>> I use Emacs both in GUI mode and text mode. In text mode, however, it
>> only shows 8 colors (M-x list-color-display). So I create a consistent
>> color-theme for Emacs in both modes.
>>
>> But one thing still bothers me. In my system, framebuffer is enabled
> (by
>> KMS) and fbterm is adopted as the terminal, in which "tput colors"
> gives
>> 256, and I can watch movies on tty with mplayer. However, in Emacs,
> only
>> 8 colors available.
>>
>> I googled and found
>> http://code.google.com/p/fbterm/issues/detail?id=44,
>> in which one comment suggest the issue root in Emacs.
>>
>> Is it right
>
> No.
>
>> or is there any way to have 256 colors in Emacs (tty)?
>
> First, your terminal should report to Emacs that it has 256 colors.
> Does it?
How to get the report?
In bash, the cmd "tput colors" reports 256.
While in Emacs, it does show 256 color *names* (by M-x
list-color-display). But in fact only the first 8 colors are showable,
as the 8 color names are shown in the background with the corresponding
color; the other color names are shown with no color background.