Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 22:45:36 +0300

> IIRC it was Juri's idea to unify keys this way.  Good to know that it's
> a misfeature.

I said "_like_ `run-hook-with-args-until-success'" ;-)
This does not mean we should use it as is.
We could run every funcall with different alist arguments.

Or with Stefan's design without decomposition
these actions could be specified as:
'(display-buffer-reuse-lru-window . ())
'(display-buffer-reuse-largest-window . ())

>> - the functionality of Emacs-23 (i.e. mostly same-frame, same-window,
>>   other-window, other-frame, dedicated-or-not, existing-window) so as to
>>   be able to mark the various old config vars as obsolete.
>
> Without offering anything people can customize instead but a single
> option called `display-buffer-alist' to choose one of these functions?

At least, this change will be easy to understand for users. ;-)