Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 21:43:47 -0400

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>> - the functionality of Emacs-23 (i.e. mostly same-frame, same-window,
>>   other-window, other-frame, dedicated-or-not, existing-window) so as to
>>   be able to mark the various old config vars as obsolete.
>
> Without offering anything people can customize instead but a single
> option called `display-buffer-alist' to choose one of these functions?
>
> Bold ;-)

I don't think it's even necessary to mark the Emacs 23 variables as
obsolete for 24.1; we can save that for Emacs 24.2.

Because it is so late in the game, now that we've settled on a workable
design the objective should be to get the basic code "infrastructure"
and the old the Emacs 23 variables work.  Making a rich set of Custom
interfaces to that design can wait.

For example, I would not spend time on the defcustom definitions for
display-buffer-alist and display-buffer-default-rule, if that proves
complicated---you could just make them defvars for now.