Re: Abort when creating frame

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Abort when creating frame
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 05:48:47 -0400

> Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 11:22:41 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> (gdb) break lread.c:1250
>
> getting me
>
> Breakpoint 4, Fload (file=55364081, noerror=50116658, nomessage=50116658,
>      nosuffix=50116658, must_suffix=50116634) at lread.c:1250
>
> Apparently I enter the call4 below
>
>         val = call4 (Vload_source_file_function, found, hist_file_name,
>                      NILP (noerror) ? Qnil : Qt,
>                      (NILP (nomessage) || force_load_messages) ? Qnil : Qt);
>         return unbind_to (count, val);
>
> and after that return.

What is the value of Vload_source_file_function?  If it's
load-with-code-conversion (as I think it should be), then either add
(message foo) printouts in load-with-code-conversion and see what
happens there, or put a breakpoint in Finsert_file_contents, which
load-with-code-conversion eventually calls, and see why that fails.

>  > Note that in order for "pp" to work, you will need to start GDB in the
>  > src directory.  But you probably already know that.
>
> (gdb) pp file
>
> never prints anything here.

If this is after you invoked Emacs from GDB (as opposed to attaching
to a running program), then I guess it's a bug in that old port of GDB
you are using.  It works for me in v7.2.

Anyway, you can use this less convenient method instead:

 (gdb) p file
 (gdb) xstring

(This assumes that `file' is a Lisp string.  There's `xtype' to show
the type.)