Re: A criticism of `make-minor-mode'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A criticism of `make-minor-mode'
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 09:37:06 -0400

> There's a bug which has been bugging me quite some time, namely
> gpm-mouse-mode's argument is the other way round.  i.e., if you evaluate
>     (gpm-mouse-mode 1)
> , the mode is turned off and the message area says it's enabled.  If you
> evaluate

In which sense is it "turned off"?  Is gpm-mouse-mode nil or are the
mouse events not caught by Emacs?

>     (gpm-mouse-mode 0)
> , the mode is turned on and the message area says it's disabled.

Can you reproduce it from "emacs -Q"?

> Can we not somehow eschew this sort of complexity?

Only at the cost of other complexity: the fact that every minor mode
would then behave is slightly different ways and that changing the
behavior of all minor modes would be pretty much impossible.
That's what we used to have and I didn't like it.

I suspect your problem has to do with the ":init-value t" (just because
I know this part is basically wrong tho it works OK in the "main" use case).

        Stefan