Custom themes in load-path

From: Edward O'Connor
Subject: Custom themes in load-path
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 10:43:44 -0700

Hi,

I converted a color theme of mine (color-theme-hober2) to a custom theme
(hober2-theme) a while back & have been using it in Emacs 23.2 for some
time now. I recently downloaded a nightly build of Emacs 24 and found a
few of the changes in the way custom themes work to be surprising.

Some might be legitimate bugs, some might simply be intentional changes
that caught me by surprise. I'll start a new thread for each issue.
Here's the first one:

I load my theme in .emacs by calling `load-theme'. On first running
Emacs 24, this call failed because the theme could not be found. The
theme is in my `load-path', which was always sufficient for it to be
found before. I see that there is now a `custom-theme-load-path' that
gets searched instead. It would be nice if the default value was
backwards compatible with custom themes that live in `load-path'.

That said, I've added the directory to `custom-theme-load-path' in my
.emacs file; it's harmless to do in older Emacsen, so no biggie.

Ted