Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105648: Make sendmail-query-once update send-m

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105648: Make sendmail-query-once update send-mail-function directly.
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 20:20:46 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> If, in the future, we come up with another method to deliver mail, the
> fact that some users have set send-mail-function via sendmail-query-once
> should not bother us any more than those who've customized it directly.
> So it is better to just do the straightforward thing.

The difference is that we're forcing the users to a single value now
that we can't ever change again.  So if, for instance, the Linux people
pull themselves together and create a proper API for querying how mail
is supposed to be sent out, this is something that few Emacs users will
be using, since if we change the default in Emacs 26.1 to
`send-mail-using-the-clever-new-linux-api', they'll never see it.