Re: Uhm... weird frame behaviour

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Uhm... weird frame behaviour
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:17:54 -0400

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there a way to get IS_DAEMON in Elisp, `initial-window-system' is
> deprecated AFAICT.

The function `daemonp' is for this.  But I don't think daemon mode has
much to do with this.  The issue is more fundamental:

Firstly, the function window-deletable-p should only look at frames on
the current terminal.  Emacs should never automatically delete the last
frame on a terminal; that is obnoxious.  So other-visible-frames-p needs
to be changed to handle this.  (Not sure why that function is in C, btw;
it could be written in Lisp.)

Secondly, the current code is too aggressive in deciding that a frame
can be deleted.  Consider the following sequence:

C-h k RET
C-x o     => switch to the *Help* window
C-x 5 2   => pop to a new frame displaying *Help*
q         => the frame is deleted

I don't think this is quite right.  The new frame was not created as a
"temporary frame" for displaying the *Help* window, but by the user's
explicit `C-x 5 2' command.  It just so happened that a special-mode
buffer was current at the time.  In this situation, quit-window should
not delete the frame.