Re: Slow/poor responsiveness in org files

From: Mathieu Boespflug
Subject: Re: Slow/poor responsiveness in org files
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 00:36:25 -0400

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 05:59:53AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Mathieu Boespflug <address@hidden>
> > Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 00:22:26 +0000 (UTC)
> >
> > I have experienced precisely the same behaviour in some of my org files.
> > Here is
> > a link to a large (redacted) org file that exhibits this problem:
> >
> > http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~mboes/test.org
>
> Thanks, I will take a look.
>
> > With latest emacs 24, reading this file in org-mode is noticeably slower
> > than in
> > org-mode, even when all trees are folded. However that's behaviour I don't
> > see
> > with emacs -Q.
>
> Can you try to find the customization(s) in your .emacs that cause the
> slowdown not observed in "emacs -Q"?

I believed I tracked at least one customization that causes a very
noticeable slowdown: global-hl-line-mode. On the org file linked above,
navigation is slow even with all trees folded with this minor mode
enabled.

> > >  . Does setting bidi-paragraph-direction to `left-to-right' eliminate
> > >    the slowdown?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> I will propose to Org mode developers a change to set
> bidi-paragraph-direction automatically on all Org buffers.

Ok. Thank you for looking into this. However, does this mean it won't be
possible to have R2L text in Org buffers?

-- Mathieu