Re: Resizing gui Emacs on macosx/Lion

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Resizing gui Emacs on macosx/Lion
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 19:48:12 +0200

Hello.

chad skrev 2011-09-15 23:27:
Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes.

The latest macosx introduced some changes in the underlying graphical
toolkit, including replacing the bottom-right `resize handle' with the
ability to resize from any edge. In Emacs (Emacs.app, bzr head), if
the vertical size is adjusted using this resize mechanism, the window
position changes.  If the window is made taller from the top, the
final position ends up under the cursor, so the result is simply some
distracting `flex' as the resize adjusts in line-sized increments. If
the window is made smaller from the bottom, the window seems to
flicker entirely off the screen, but then back onto the screen.  If
the window is made larger from the bottom, emacs flickers, ends up
lower on the display that it started, and can end up entirely off the
screen.

I'm not filing a bug report yet, because I've scheduled some time to look
into emacs issues over the weekend, but I thought I'd check and see if
anyone else has run into this problem.

The problem is in windowDidResize. Instead of accepting the size given, Emacs calls x_set_window_size which in turn tries to resize the frame and all kind of things go wrong. windowDidResize should just calculate rows and cols from pixels sizes and call change_frame_size like the X11 ports do.

I imagine it is not too hard to fix, I might get round to it if you don't fix it first.

        Jan D.