Re: `isearch-allow-scroll' - a misnomer and a bad design

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: `isearch-allow-scroll' - a misnomer and a bad design
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:27:24 +0200

>> FWIW: Several people have expressed this idea, with which I agree.
>> C-u should do nothing by itself (and that includes not exiting
>> Isearch, of course).
> C-u is bound to a command, namely `universal-argument', and we do our
> users a disservice if we try to pretend otherwise.

I don't pretend otherwise, at all.  What you say does not conflict
with my point, AFAIU.

>> Its only effect should be to provide a prefix argument to the next
>> command, to extend its behavior.
> No.  When in isearch, it first exits isearch and then generates the
> prefix argument (4).  It exits isearch like (almost) any other
> non-character keysequence does.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the need for C-u to do something (exit
Isearch) prematurely.  As I said, I would be much better to wait for
the "real" command before deciding what to do.  That makes a lot more
sense to me. YMMV.

Dani Moncayo