Re: command to fontify whole buffer?

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: command to fontify whole buffer?
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:25:55 +0530

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Sometimes I want to fontify a whole buffer (really).  One use case is
>> to be able to then use the fontification for other (e.g. code)
>> purposes than visual highlighting.  But it really doesn't matter why -
>> I just want to. ;-)
>
> Agreed.  We need two functions:
> - font-lock-flush-region (which marks the region for re-fontification).
> - font-lock-ensure-region (which makes sure the region is fontified).
> The functions we have were designed before lazy/jit lock and were
> adjusted in ad-hoc ways when jit/lazy was added.
> For font-lock-ensure-region, you should be able to find sample code for
> an implementation in various packages such as ps-print.el and
> replace.el.

In htmlfontify.el (htmlfontify-buffer), hfy-force-fontification calls
either font-lock-fontify-region (in interactive mode) or
font-lock-fontify-buffer (in non-interactive mode).

The latter funcion in turn calls font-lock-fontify-buffer-function which
apparently points to jit-lock-refontify.

I hope either the htmlfontify-buffer DTRT or it may fail to re-fontify
under certain circumstances.