Re: Bugs #7240, #9133 - fixing them both at the same time.

From: Wolfgang Jenkner
Subject: Re: Bugs #7240, #9133 - fixing them both at the same time.
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 01:45:55 +0200

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> The cause of these failures was trying to make one variable, par-beg, do
> two different jobs, namely 1) beginning of the paragraph; 2) start of
> text in the paragraph.
>
> By separating these out into par-beg and text-beg the bug simply
> evaporates.

So part of your change is

>     (let ((opoint (point))
>           (sentence-end (sentence-end)))
>       (while (< arg 0)
> !       (let* ((pos (point))
> !          (text-beg
> !           (progn (start-of-paragraph-text)
> !                  (point)))
[...]
>           (goto-char (match-end 0))
> !       (goto-char text-beg)))

and my whole patch is

           (goto-char (match-end 0))
-        (goto-char par-beg)))
+        (goto-char opoint)
+        (start-of-paragraph-text)))

This is equivalent.  Of course, style matters.

The rest of your change (with respect to the code before rms patched it)
consists in adding the 4th and 5th line in

> !          (par-beg
> !           (progn
> !             (backward-paragraph)
> !             (if (looking-at paragraph-separate)
> !                 (forward-line))
> !             (point))))

That may be a good change, but it is not directly related to the bugs.

> Please try out the following patch and confirm to me that it's OK.  Then
> I will commit it.

Oh my.  I'm afraid you got a code review instead;-)

> Wolfgang:  Thanks very much for taking the trouble to report this bug,
> submitting a patch (even if it wasn't quite right),

Wolfgang