Re: Should undefined behavior be encouraged in Emacs?

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Should undefined behavior be encouraged in Emacs?
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 08:39:01 +0200

Am 03.10.2011 05:11, schrieb Stefan Monnier:
The argument given for undefined behavior is that it simplifies
maintenance of Emacs internals.

I like to keep some corner of the behavior undefined, when I think
that user code that depends on such details is undesirable (e.g. return
values of primitives which are only called for side-effects).

my bet: undefined behavior sources bugs, makes maintenance difficult.

Design at the user level certainly deserves a separate approach. It's up to implement convenient error-handling than rather than undefined behavior.