Re: Gdb in emacs 24

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Gdb in emacs 24
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 17:55:34 -0400

On Mar 8, 2011, at 3:56 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> If you "C-h f gdb RET", you will see that Emacs 24 switched to use the
> GDB/MI interface, so the --annotate=3 thingy is no longer TRT, and I'm
> quite sure it will interfere in "interesting" ways.

Actually, the doc string doesn't tell me that at all.  In fact, it gives an
undefined COMMAND-LINE argument, and the text refers to an undeclared FILE
argument.

I fell for --annotate=3 just like the OP did and, for a long time, just thought
that Emacs 24 and GDB 6.3 (as on OS X) were again incompatible.

Wouldn't it be more user-friendly to just ask for the name of the executable
after M-x gdb, compose the correct arguments to GDB automatically?
C-u M-x gdb could ask for the full set of arguments as before.

That's because if you don't give -i mi, it won't work either, without
simple-to-understand error message.

===
gdb is an interactive Lisp function in `gdb-mi.el'.

It is bound to <menu-bar> <tools> <gdb>.

(gdb COMMAND-LINE)

Run gdb on program FILE in buffer *gud-FILE*.
The directory containing FILE becomes the initial working directory
and source-file directory for your debugger.

If `gdb-many-windows' is nil (the default value) then gdb just
pops up the GUD buffer unless `gdb-show-main' is t.  In this case
it starts with two windows: one displaying the GUD buffer and the
other with the source file with the main routine of the inferior.

If `gdb-many-windows' is t, regardless of the value of
`gdb-show-main', the layout below will appear.  Keybindings are
shown in some of the buffers.

Watch expressions appear in the speedbar/slowbar.

The following commands help control operation :

`gdb-many-windows'    - Toggle the number of windows gdb uses.
`gdb-restore-windows' - To restore the window layout.

See Info node `(emacs)GDB Graphical Interface' for a more
detailed description of this mode.