Re: Fixing dired hangs when NFS mount goes AWOL

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Fixing dired hangs when NFS mount goes AWOL
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 18:14:20 -0400

>>> Would you consider adding "-l" to the list of default arguments for
>>> `directory-free-space-args'?  This will fix an issue where attempting
>>> to open dired buffers with ls-lisp enabled hangs due to an AWOL NFS
>>> mount.

Could you explain what the issue actually is?
Normally even trying to ls a directory containing eg a link to a missing
NFS directory hangs.
Are you saying that doing dired on a local directory that contains a
link to a missing NFS mount works, but hangs in calling df to calculate
the 'total used xxx available yyy' part?
What does ls-lisp have to do with it?
I can see how adding -l might help with a plain `df' call, but how can
it help `df DIR' if DIR is local?