Re: Sound in Emacs

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Sound in Emacs
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 09:31:39 +0200

address@hidden writes:

>     L> If you're in a dired buffer, you can hit RET to see images, but
>     L> sound files aren't as available.  Wouldn't it be nice if you hit
>     L> RET on an .mp3 file, and Emacs pops up a waveform buffer and
>     L> starts playing the file?  And you can skip around in the
>     L> song/podcast...
>
> Possibly the closest you get atm is setting up Snd
> (https://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/) as an inferior scheme
> process, and control it from emacs via existing major or minor-modes, or
> build further to integrate more tightly into eg. dired.  Everything in
> Snd is controllable and accessible from a running scheme.
>
> Linking in libsndfile, which is rather x-plattform i beleive, would
> provide builtin access for reading (and writing) the various sound-file
> formats around.
>
> A project id like to get going is setting up a database type app for
> sound - something similar to various photo-managers - where info from a
> sound gets stored and managed - diskfile, region, format, tags and
> metadata of all sorts - - and made available through a general
> interface.  Send a query to find certain regions from some files, and
> ask a running sound-editor to show them.  Edit them, update metadata
> info, headers etc. on a set of matches (ie. add a tag or similar) etc.
>
> Ideally an interchange format (SDIF?) would make exported data usable by
> all sorts of clients, import into your DAW, export a region into a
> soundeditor and get the edited version back w. updated metadata...
>
> Emacs would be an ideal environment to access all this.

I'm very interested in this sort of thing also. I suppose it's off topic
for this thread though. Anyway, briefly, my conclusion is the same as
yours. All filetypes can be meta tagged the same way technically. then
you need a common storage(I've been experimenting with rdf indexing on
top of xattrs) and indeed Emacs is ideal for large scale tagging.

--
Joakim Verona