Re: Fixing dired hangs when NFS mount goes AWOL

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Fixing dired hangs when NFS mount goes AWOL
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 17:18:30 -0400

>> Why would it break Tramp?
> There was a very long discussion about, see
> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/87506/focus=87506>

I know, I participated in that thread.  I fail to see how it answers
the question.

> Tramp uses file-remote-p internally. OK, this could be replaced by an
> internal function.

It depends on whether it uses it right or not.

> Other packages use it as well, inside and outside core Emacs.

What does it mean "use it as well"?  In which way are those uses
incompatible with a file-remote-p which returns non-nil for SSHFS and
NFS mounts?

> Not so important for basic file name operations, but needed for all
> process related things.

These are the uses which should use something like
file-accessible-directory-p instead of file-remote-p, right?

        Stefan